Newspaper that inspires change. Breaking stories that shake the world. Be informed, Don't Settle for Fake News.

Get In Touch

7939 NW 21st St
Miami, Florida

feat shape 1
feat shape 2
feat shape 3

Pittsburgh shooting suspect dead after 6-hour standoff in Garfield neighborhood

A gunman is dead after a six-hour standoff in Pittsburgh's Garfield neighborhood that prompted evacuations as he exchanged gunfire with police.

In Pittsburgh's Garfield neighborhood, a tense and dangerous six-hour standoff came to a close as a gunman was pronounced dead after exchanging gunfire with police. The incident unfolded when sheriff's deputies were serving an eviction notice and the occupant of the home began to open fire, turning the situation into a gunfight.

The suspect, described as an "active shooter," barricaded himself inside a home on the 4800 block of Broad Street and North Mathilda Street. Pittsburgh Public Safety quickly alerted the public to the shooting, urging them to avoid the area. As the situation escalated, officers evacuated residents from their homes on Broad Street.

The first officers on the scene arrived swiftly, but the situation continued to unfold with a barrage of gunshots being exchanged. State police Trooper Rocco Gagliardi described it as an "active gunfire situation," with the suspect even firing at drones that were flown over the house to locate him. The intensity of the situation was evident as shots rang out throughout the afternoon.

Amidst the chaos, a woman who had been barricaded in her basement before being evacuated shared her harrowing experience. Bullets had struck her home, with shots coming through the living room window and leaving shattered glass and holes in the bathroom. Her husband, who was at work, received the distressing news and rushed home, only to find the area blocked off and the sound of gunshots filling the air. The couple's emotional reunion highlighted the shock and disbelief that such violence had unfolded in their neighborhood.

Witnesses in the area described the terrifying moments when shots began to ring out. One visitor, Chris Wilkinson, recounted the sound of police banging on the door, attempting to gain access to the suspect. After several failed attempts, they resorted to using a sledgehammer, which triggered a series of gunshots. Wilkinson expressed his fear and sadness, emphasizing that even in what was once considered a safe neighborhood, such incidents can occur.

As the situation came to an end, police were able to concentrate fire on the area where the suspect was located, ultimately resulting in his fatal injury. The Allegheny County Sheriff's Office confirmed that a sergeant leading the detail at the scene had suffered minor injuries while avoiding gunfire but was expected to recover.

Moving forward, the state police's Troop B Major Case Team will take over the investigation into the incident once the scene is secured. The community, still reeling from the events that unfolded, will undoubtedly seek answers and reassurance as they come to terms with the shocking violence that transpired in their neighborhood.

Share With Others

Comments on Pittsburgh shooting suspect dead after 6-hour standoff in Garfield neighborhood