Newspaper that inspires change. Breaking stories that shake the world. Be informed, Don't Settle for Fake News.

feat shape 1
feat shape 2
feat shape 3

TikTok One Chip challenge claims teen's life, says mother

Massachusetts boy dies after participating in viral 'One Chip Challenge' involving extremely spicy Paqui chip. Autopsy pending.

In a tragic incident that occurred on Friday, a young boy from Massachusetts lost his life, and his family suspects that it may be connected to the viral 'One Chip Challenge.' This challenge has gained popularity on social media and involves consuming an extremely spicy Paqui chip and enduring the intense heat without any relief.

According to the boy's mother, Lois Wolobah, her 14-year-old son, Harris Wolobah, fell ill after eating the fiery chip at school. Although he initially appeared to recover when she picked him up, he later passed out at home, just before basketball tryouts. He was rushed to a local hospital but was pronounced dead.

While the exact cause of death has yet to be confirmed, an autopsy is pending. In response to this tragic incident, Worcester Public Schools is now offering emotional support to students and staff.

Rachel Monarrez, the Superintendent of Worcester Schools, expressed her condolences and acknowledged the loss of a promising student at Doherty Memorial High School. She referred to the boy as a "rising star."

The 'One Chip Challenge' is promoted by Paqui, the manufacturer of the chip known for its spicy creations. The chip itself contains Carolina Reaper Pepper and Naga Viper Pepper, which are described as providing a "truly twisted experience" on the company's website.

Paqui advises that only adults should attempt the challenge and cautions against it for those who are sensitive to spicy food or have allergies. The company also warns of potential medical effects and urges participants to seek immediate medical attention if they experience "difficulty breathing, fainting, or extended nausea."

Additionally, the company emphasizes the importance of practicing proper hand hygiene after handling the chip to prevent contact with sensitive areas like the eyes.

A spokesperson for Paqui stressed their commitment to safety and ensuring clear product labeling. They aim to ensure that consumers fully understand the nature of the challenge before attempting it.

This tragic incident serves as a reminder of the potential risks associated with viral challenges and the importance of exercising caution when participating in them. It is crucial for individuals to consider their own health conditions and consult medical professionals if they have any concerns before attempting such challenges.

Share With Others

Comments on TikTok One Chip challenge claims teen's life, says mother